ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT
Established in 2012, the ENERGIE & ENVIRONNEMENT axis focuses on scientific issues in the field of the environment. It involves both basic research as well as more applied research offering collaborations with industry.
The studies focus on:
- Water treatment and resource management;
- Energy efficiency in buildings;
- Production and management of energy.
The researchers of the ENERGIE & ENVIRONNEMENT carries out their research in partnership with the Institute of Electronics and Systems (IES) of Montpellier University, the GRESPI laboratory of URCA (Reims), the LISE laboratory (UMR CNRS 8235) at Sorbonne University and the Ecole des Mines d'Ales.
WATER TREATMENT AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Deposits (scaling, fouling, etc.): understanding of the phenomena of germination / growth of calcium carbonate, in the absence or presence of organic molecules, inhibitors of scale formation.
Y. Chao et al., In situ Probing Calcium Carbonate Formation by Combining Fast Controlled Precipitation Method and Small-Angle X-ray Scattering, Langmuir 2014, 30, 3303−3309.
- Development of in-situ sensors: monitoring of fouling / scaling phenomena using quartz crystal microbalance (QCM).
Y. Chao et al., Direct detection of Calcium Carbonate Scaling via a Pre-Calcified Sensitive Area of a Quartz Crystal Microbalance, Desalination 2014, 352, 103-108.
- Green anti scalants: Search of new "green" inhibitors: extraction of inhibitors from natural produces. Mechanisms of action and compared efficiencies.
O. Horner et al. Antiscalant properties of Herniaria glabra aqueous solution, Desalination 2017, 409, 157-162.
- Separation of metals and decontamination: selective complexation of metal ions using Polycarbobetaines (polyelectrolytes having an anionic group and a cationic group in each repeating unit).
J. Mouton et al., A new water-soluble polycarbobetaine showing high selectivity toward copper, Chemical Engineering Journal 2016, 283, 1168-1175..
ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN BUILDINGS
- Materials and modeling: characterization of the properties of materials used in green building, and multiscale dynamic modeling of the building behavior - from the wall to the building.
- Development of cooling and air conditioning solutions: passive solutions (Phase Change Materials) and solar cooling (Stirling, absorption machine).
- Efficiency and comfort: design and production of low-cost sensors to measure energy efficiency and to study thermal comfort. Study of thermal comfort for the assessment of human feeling.
Thermetrics™ Newton Mannequin
PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT OF ENERGY
- Development of micro-sources (natural and / or artificial photons) to supply energy to sensors and communicating objects;
- Multi-scale thermal characterization of materials (eco-materials, bio-sourced materials) of simple or multilayer type that may have anisotropies or inhomogeneities.