French for Future Engineers (French Foundation Year)
EPF is launching a preparatory programme: French for Future Engineers (French Foundation Year). Overseas students, prepare your engineering studies while improving your French! Experience a year of scientific and international immersion!
Aims of the French Foundation Year
As of the start of the 2021-2022 academic year, EPF is offering students wishing to study engineering the chance to enrol in a Preparatory Programme for Future Engineers. This innovative course enables participants to improve their level of French before joining their study programme and to lay the groundwork for scientific and engineering studies in France.
Students may join this foundation year in autumn or spring.
Profile of applicants
Students who have completed a:
- High-school diploma, scientific stream
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering specialities
- Institute of Technology (IUT) diploma for students preparing the Bachelor in Digital Science
Since 1992, EPF has been offering courses in French as a Foreign Language (FLE), specially adapted to future engineering students. Our teaching team is composed of specialists in French language and qualified instructors in scientific subjects, all with solid experience in engineering schools.
The school provides lessons in French to overseas students from prestigious French schools such as EPF, ESTP, École Polytechnique, Ensta, or the École des Ponts et Chaussées. Our programme has been awarded two quality accreditations:
- The European Language Label (since 2006)
- The French Government FLE Quality Label (since 2009)
In 2019, more than 150 students received training and the excellence programme boasts a final exam success rate of 90%.
All selected students will begin their preparatory course online during the autumn term starting in September 2021, and in partner establishments on site. They will join EPF at the start of the spring term in February 2022. From September 2021 to June 2022, French as a Foreign Language (FLE) and other scientific subjects will be taught by the FLE Department at EPF.
Courses on offer via the French Foundation Year
- French: lessons in grammar, phonetics, methodology, multi-media, educational workshops, tutorials, TCF / TFI exam preparation.
- Specialisation course: scientific language, mathematics, physics & chemistry, computer science, mechanics, etc.
- Science conference
- Culture: oenology, drama, cultural outing
*These courses are accessible online during the first term
- Tuition fees for the 1-year preparatory programme: €7,200
- Tuition per term: €3,600 (fees quoted on an indicative basis for the 2021-2022 academic year, may be subject to slight change from one year to another. Visa, insurance, accommodation and living costs are not included).
Application to this programme is free of charge.
The application file must include the following for students who have completed a:
- High-school diploma (Bac): high school grades transcript + CV + cover letter (in French or English)
- Bachelor’s degree: university grades transcript + Chinese school-leaving diploma grades + CV + cover letter (in French or English)
- Institute of Technology: IUT grades transcript + Chinese school-leaving diploma grades + CV + cover letter
*EPF recommends students have A2 level in French in order to obtain a visa.
It is possible to enrol in the programme in September (for the autumn term) or in February (for the spring term).
The EPF admissions committee will examine applications under ‘rolling admissions’ as of March 2021.
Application deadlines: 14/07/2021 for the autumn term, 20/12/2021 for the spring term.
A motivational interview is scheduled once all applications have been examined.
After the Foundation Year
Applicants will receive a certificate of successful completion and an FLE diploma.
They will have improved greatly their comprehension in French and their scientific skills.
According to their profile and the quality of their academic results, applicants may enrol in the degree cycle (general engineering), the Bachelor of Technology in Information Systems, or various EPF Majors.
French Foundation Year coordinator: Pierre Jiang
Director of International Development: Stefan Seiler
Head of the 1st Year at the Troyes EPF Campus: Xixi Wang